Thursday, December 8, 2011

Reflections

I woke up this morning feeling reflective. Not sure what put me in this mood but it may have something to do with all the sorting and cleaning up in the room that used to be our school room. As this room adjoins our daughters bedroom we thought it would be nice to make it into a sitting room/guest room for when she brings friends home from college. It has been a great motivator to get busy on the room but I have to admit I found it a little more emotionally draining than I thought it would be.


This used to be my son's desk. When he graduated my hubby took it over to work on his computer projects. We have moved him to a room in the basement (well his projects anyways lol) to a bigger, better space. I can't even remember the last time I saw the top of this desk and now it is a little sad to see it empty. However, this is going to become my little corner office in our "girl cave".

 

My dad made this little dresser/change table for my daughter when she was born.  It has served many purposes but for the past many years it has held school books, art and craft supplies, paper, pens, etc.  The storage area for all those little things you need when you homeschool.  Now, the items sitting on top have been sorted through and are waiting to be moved downstairs.  The drawers have been emptied and I hope that some other children will get much joy out of the supplies that have been donated.  This dresser will also stay in this room to hold linens and provide space for future guests to put their things.


Now this was my daughter's corner of the room.  As you can see, her desk really hasn't changed much from the last few months of flurry as we finished up school, helped take care of my dad following his surgery and got ready for her to go to Europe.  This desk will be moved out of the room completely.  When she comes home for Christmas (in two weeks, I'm so excited) she will be able to sort through what is there before we move it out.  But until then it sits as a reminder of what was.


And finally, this was my section of the room.  I can't remember the last time my desk was so paper free and my bulletin board actually has space on it.  I used to spend about 2-3 hours a day at this desk and now I don't even spend 2-3 hours a week here.  This is going to be moved downstairs to become my crafting area.  It will be in the same room as hubby's computer projects so I can work on my crafting projects while he works on his projects. 

This little room has been the hub of our life for the past 10 years and now it sits empty and forlorn.  I am looking forward to finishing up the change over of the room as it symbolizes the closing of a very good chapter and moving on to the next chapter which I am sure will be even more exciting than the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading each one so much and will try to get back to each one of you. Have an amazing day!