Monday, January 31, 2011

Birds of a Feather

What a wonderful evening we had.  Although temperatures dropped to -31C (-24F) with a wind chill making it feel like -40 (which is just too cold whether its C or F) we had a lovely evening filled with laughter and reminiscing.  My parents and cousin were over for the evening and it was a fun, warm filled evening.


I had found this little leftover bird when I was decorating for Christmas and I immediately knew I wanted to use him after Christmas for my table.  So, this is what one little leftover bird inspired.

I started with a simple white tablecloth with a delicate design.  I picked this up at Wal-Mart on clearance since I needed a new one that would fit my table when it was fully opened up.


I added a decorative bird house that my mom gave to me a few years ago.  I usually have it in our porch but thought it would enjoy being the center of attention for once.



I added some winter branches that I borrowed from a winter arrangement I made before Christmas.  A few branches from each arrangement and you couldn't even tell the difference.




Then I added my "inspiration bird" to the birdhouse.  My little leftover bird now had a home.


I added my bright red cardinal which my mom gave me for Christmas and adorned our tree top. (I also had a beautiful white bird I was going to use that adorned the top of our second tree but hubby had already packed it up and sealed the box.  I was a little disappointed but he was just being helpful so what could I say.)


Packed away in my box of decorating flowers I knew I had some small birds from a wreath project I did a few years ago.


They were the perfect addition in between the branches.







Joining the mix of birds was my daughters blue jay which she received for Christmas this year.  She loves blue jays the way I love cardinals.


Now my leftover bird not only has a home but some friends.


I fell in love with this salt and pepper shaker when I first saw it and when found it under the Christmas tree I was thrilled.


And finally the table.  I kept it fairly simple.  I did get to use my new cutlery that my son gave me for Christmas.


And the napkins my mom made me for Thanksgiving.  I love the trim around the edge.


So as we gathered and visited one of our topics of conversation was the similarity traits in family, even to the 2nd and 3rd generations.  We truly are "birds of a feather" :)

I am joining Marty at "A Stroll Thru Life" for Tabletop Tuesday


I am also joining Susan at "Between Naps on the Porch" for Tablescape Thursday

19 comments:

  1. Hello, nice to meet you. Lovely tablescape you have made! Seeing the birds reminds me SPRING & Sunshine are not that far away . :)
    ~~HUGS~~
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alana,

    What a beautiful table! I just love everything about it...especially all the birds! You have a definite flair for decorating! The napkins that your mom made are so sweet...I love the edging as well.

    Thanks for inviting us into your home!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet indeed! Glad you had a "warm" evening with family!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alana, Evenings with family over a great meal are the best. Your table top is lovely and no doubt has more meaning because of the stories behind each of the objects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alana- Those temps sound miserable. lol

    The table top is SO lovely, that birdhouse makes me ache for spring. Yet here we are under another storm advisory expecting 18 inches in the next 36 hours. SIGH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your table looks beautiful, lovely little birdies.

    I enjoyed reading your Hearts for Home post too and laughed at the 'coffee do stupid things faster with more energy' in your Daybook post.

    It's sounds pretty chilly where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tablescape and the story of each item is wonderful. So interesting to see how you put it all together. Gorgeous. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. I didn't see a follow button. I hope you add one, I would love to see more. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessings - Thank you! And welcome to my blog! I look forward to getting to know you :)

    Laura - I am so glad I am able to share my home with you.

    Kelly - There is nothing quite as warm as an evening spent with family and friends.

    threedogsinagarden - I agree sharing a meal is wonderful. I love setting the table with things that have a bit of a story.

    Blondee - You know its cold when its colder outside than it is in your deep freeze (sigh) It sounds like the storm we had here is heading to the midwest. Huddle down and stay warm.

    Like Sunshine in the Home - I loved that picture. I took it this summer at Heritage Park in Calgary, Alberta. It is a vintage billboard.

    Marty - Thank you. I would love to have you follow my blog. There should be a follow at the very top of my blog in the blue bar. Hope you can join :)

    ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tablescape. I liked how you showed the progression of setting the table. Your napkins are really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved seeing how everything came together. Your dishes are lovely and your whole table just looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You created the perfect centerpiece for your special family evening. I love to use birds in my tablescapes, too. I have some birds that belonged to my grandmother and to Sweet Mister's Nana. They are so much fun to use when I entertain friends and family. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a bird fanatic and love what you've done with yours. My husband raises birds so anytime I find something with birds, it finds it's way home to my little nest. Thanks for sharing your table! ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a sweet and thoughtful centerpiece. Love all the feathered frinds gathered on your pretty table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam - Thank you. I fell in love with the cloth the moment we walked into the store and my mom was kind enough to make it into napkins for me.

    Marlis - Thank you so much for your kind comments :)

    Cherry Kay - That's wonderful that you have those keepsake birds. I am sure they would have some wonderful stories to tell.

    CJ - I am so glad you enjoyed my table. I had such fun putting it together. What types of birds do you raise?

    Martha - Thank you for your kind comment. I am glad I was able to share it with you :)

    ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful...love the bird inspired centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was fun to see the step-by-step process of how your wonderful birdie tablescape came together. Just lovely! No wonder you put that cute S&P shaker on your wish list for Christmas - terrific!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Alana, Your little salt and pepper is so cute! You must have been a good girl to find it under your tree this Christmas. All the birds on your table are giving me hope that this snow and ice will be gone soon and spring will come at last. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like how you showed how you put everything togeather visually and mentally. Yeah birds of a feather stick togeather I love bird themes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marigene - Thank you :)

    DD - Glad you enjoyed it!

    Linda - It has been a long winter and each day I tell myself we are one day closer to spring and it really will come.

    we three dogs & me - I love birds as well. This year we have had a pair of mourning doves wintering in our back yard. They are beautiful to watch.

    ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading each one so much and will try to get back to each one of you. Have an amazing day!